Monday, November 22, 2010

Can You Un-Naturally Cut Fries?


I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this in my email. Wendy' is unveiling their new Natural-Cut Fries with Sea Salt.

My family does eat fast food every once in a while, but I understand that what I'm eating is not healthy. I also understand that these fries probably won't be much healthier than Wendy's other fries. Unfortunately, there are many people who will see "Natural" on the label and think, "Hey, that must be good for me."

The only thing I can see that makes these fries "Natural" is the fact that there is still a smidgen of potato peels left on them. I'm not sure if that's healthier or not considering the chemicals and fertilizers used on potato fields?

As for the sea salt, there's no real difference in the chemical makeup between sea salt and regular table salt. Table salt tends to be processed more heavily than sea salt, but they both have around the same sodium content.

I haven't tried these fries yet, but I'm sure I will someday. The big thing to remember is everything in moderation. Just because "Natural" is on the label doesn't mean it's good for you.


**EDIT**

I just did a quick search on Wendy's Fries and I can't find anywhere that says their original fries are made out of anything other than potatoes, and the normal additives to keep them fresh and protect colors. Here's the nutrition info that I found on Wendy's site:
Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (contains one or more of the following: soy oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (to protect natural color). Cooked in Soy, Corn, Cottonseed, & Hydrogenated Soy Oil. Cooked in the same oil as menu items that contain Wheat, Egg, Milk, and Fish (where available). Seasoned with Salt.




2 comments:

  1. lol Yes, it's all marketing.. I've already heard some overweight, under educated people mention they aren't as bad for you since they are "naturally cut".. 1 person even said that the natural part of it is that they hand cut each potato! LOL I'm glad I was raised with some common sense. Good point about field chemicals and pesticides though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah I just noticed that "Fresh Fact" at the bottom of the add. Brings out the real potato taste eh!?

    ReplyDelete